Wednesday, 1 April 2009

Ethical Business Club brings together people with common objectives.

I recently attended an Ethical Business Club Networking Event in Oxford, where I met some really interesting people who I though might be of interest to you also.

The Ethical Business Club promotes green, enterprising organisations, and helps businesses along the path of being climate aware, reducing your carbon footprint and considering sustainability.

Jill Holmes of Climate Xchange told me about their low energy light bulb library over a lovely meal of what the menu said was beef with provencal sauce but I’m sure was a spicy pork burger! Anyway, it was both delicious and organic too.

The meal was followed by a very informative talk from Mike McKinley on fair-trade, including how the initiative ensures a fair price for suppliers, and also generates donations towards education and other community projects. Visit http://www.traidcraft.co.uk/ and http://www.tradeoutofpoverty.org/. Mike – I loved the giraffe tie.

We also had a presentation from the Green Economics Institute which was jam packed with information on greening the economy and green jobs. I was trying to pay attention despite the fact that a waiter and waitress appeared to be having a passionate moment behind the bar. The amount of detail was a little overwhelming to summarise, visit http://www.greeneconomics.org.uk/ for more.

The event was extremely interesting, the food was good, and the attendance of The Lord Mayor of Oxford Susanna Pressel in all of her official jewellery was very welcome. The gorgeous Vaults and Garden in Oxford was also a beautiful venue.

If you’re interested in finding out more about the group, or if you want to attend a future event visit http://www.the-ethical-business-club.co.uk/. My only faux pas of the evening – invite said cocktail dresses, I did cocktail dress, I was alone, although I feel I stood out, which is never a bad thing!

No comments: