Last week I attended a local networking breakfast which included a talk from a really lovely lady called Nadine from Praxis Image Consultants on self branding.
I knew the talk was going to be happening so I paid particular attention that morning, opting for pink lip gloss rather than Vaseline, and a smart black puffy top and skirt with big black and white bow combo, rather than the usual trouser suit.
I may have got it a little bit wrong….devastating. Nadine’s talk was really interesting, informal, encouraging plenty of banter from the audience, and provided a real reality check on what impressions you give to people when meeting them in environments such as a networking meeting.
I see myself as an approachable, friendly type, but apparently wearing black is a big no no. Not only does it remind people of death, it drains the colour from your face, and makes your mouth appear smaller and shrivelled; hiding that welcoming smile that you may be proudly displaying. 0 out of 10 for me then. At least I wasn’t alone; and giggled (a little childishly I admit) along with the other two ladies unfortunate enough to be wearing black also.
Before I move on, did you know that Chanel initially started the popularity for black and white? Not many people knew that the reason behind their styling was that they wanted to make the upper classes look like their servants! I did feel even more self conscious when carrying a tray of tea and coffee over to a just met networker, that I may be mistaken for a waitress.
So, Nadine got us all thinking about the first impressions we make – an opinion is formed in milliseconds; and after that we look for evidence to back up our conclusions; not dispel them. So our appearance is vitally important.
Body language is equally important; apparently relaxing and letting your shoulders drop before entering a room is a really good way to start. Walk in ready to make eye contact with people; careful though, no crazy stares.
In addition to this tone of voice needs to be considered. Women have a tendency to jump up an octave especially when passionate or excited about a topic of conversation. This makes men shut down. It reminds them of their nagging wife and they instantly switch off. Beware ladies – no black, and definitely no squeaky tones.
Your reputation is really important in business. Many small businesses thrive on word of mouth recommendations. When you attend a networking event, believe in yourself. If someone says they’ve heard about you when you introduce yourself, assume what they’ve heard is good and continue the conversation on a positive note. If you drank to much champagne at a clients launch party last week and had to be folded into a taxi resembling an origami frog, then you may well not be so confident, but hopefully that’s not the case. Is it?!
On the same note of reputation, creating a positive, strong and lasting impression is what will set you apart from the competition. If you meet two web designers at a meeting and one is smartly dressed (with that all important flash of colour), greets you with smiling eye contact, a firm handshake and proceeds to ask you about yourself then you’ll remember that one. Rather than the one that’s standing in the corner fiddling with his Blackberry looking uncomfortable.
Networking isn’t for everyone, but for those who relish the opportunity of meeting other business people across a wide range of industries and professions, Nadine’s tips can make it a really productive and enjoyable experience.
We also spent some time looking at our strengths and weaknesses to identify how we can really put our best foot forward and make that all important good impression. One gentleman who I’ve been bumping into at networking events for some time now always has 101 things to do, is off to a meeting next, or to spend some time with one of the charities he supports, he’s always on the go. But, he never, ever appears rushed or flustered. He’s always calm, smart and collected. He always has time, never disappears early or checks his watch. He must have a nanny, a cleaner and a PA stashed away somewhere, surely.
On the day following the revelations about what wearing black can do to you, I wore yellow. I may have looked like a bumble bee, but at least you could tell when I was smiling. And any excuse to go clothes shopping is always trés welcome.
For more information about self branding and personal image contact Nadine at Praxis Image Consultants. Guaranteed to brighten up your day, and your wardrobe.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment